Sunday 17 February 2013

What is it with sports?


 THE MODERN ADDICTION TO SPORTS AND WINNING.

My home town soccer/football team lost again yesterday.  It's not an unusual outcome on a Saturday especially as they are going through a period of augmentation after a pretty shitty fall from grace.  Being a long term fan of many losing or "nearly there" teams I have kind of settled down and embraced the whole losing process.  Sometimes you lose because the other team was outstanding, sometimes you lose because of bad luck/preparation, and sometimes you lose because your team is complete shit.  However the same outcomes can be applied to winning as well.  Take a look at the NY Jets this year, they were dismal but this could have been easily foreseen pre season, the roster was a crapshoot mixed with a couple of good players and a couple of terrible players.  The team didn't help themselves starting the season with a 2-1win record recording massive win against one of its league rivals and a second win over another. The rest of the season was like being forced to watch the Twilight Saga every Sunday for the next 14 weeks.



What really gets me giggling though is these keyboard warrior, fifa generation, and spoilt children/adults to take to the team’s message board to rant and rave.  The good old boro website Fly Me To The Moon www.fmttm.com is always a good giggle post match.  Within seconds there are messages filling up the board, anger fuelled stumped remains of what were once fingers beat their keyboards like a partner of Rihanna.
"What a bag of effing turd, time to go Mogga" reads one.  "Game over ffs (for f*(ks sake) reads another.  The more linguistical type "Abject and humiliating performance.".  Now in truth part of me agrees with them, but growing up enjoying various types of sport I have come to realise that losing, losing bad, and seasons you just have to give up on are all just part of the game.  It seems however in this day and age, there are a hell of a lot of fans who seem to think losing is "not an option", someone has to take the blame for every loss or every mistake, where the hell did this come from?  It may seem like I am ranting myself here but I really am not.  I am not happy with the Jets, the Boro, the NY Rangers, Michael Bisping or that woman who puts too much milk in my coffee, but I realised long ago that I have absolutely zero control over it.....  Apart from the coffee thing but she is hot and it’s the closest place to where I work.  You have to embrace everything in sport, the good and bad.  If a result leaves you wanting to put a fist through a wall you really need to step away from the arena of sports.  Whatever happened to losing graciously?

I am simply trying to point out that I support all my teams to the fullest, if my team made me angry too much that all I could do is rant.  I would step away from that sport for a couple of months.
Being angry does not make you "a real fan".  In actual fact I have a friend who has been watching the Boro play since 1967, I have only known him 15 years, but I have only seen him get angry once at a match and that was two days afterwards when he was reading an interview with one of the players and he didn't believe their excuse for playing so badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment